Light recipe from R. Reisman. Great coffee cake - not too sweet - just perfect for brunch or a light snack!!
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canned whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable spray.
- Make cake: in a large bowl and using a whisk or electric mixer, beat orange rind and juice, sour cream, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla and sugar.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda; with a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the orange mixture just until it is combined. Pour the mixture into a prepared pan.
- In a food processor, purée the cranberry sauce. Dollop it over the batter and use a butter knife to swirl it around gently.
- Make topping: in a small bowl, stir together the cereal, brown sugar, flour, water and oil just until crumbly. Scatter the toppng over the cake batter.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack.