Best of Show Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place oven rack in lowest position and generously butter a bundt pan.
- Make Streusel: In small food processor, process flour, sugar, 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, and cinnamon for 15 seconds. Remove 1-1/4 cups of mixture; add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar to it and set aside. Add cold butter and chopped pecans to mixture in food processor; pulse 10 times and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine blueberries and lemon zest and set aside. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, 1 cup sour cream and vanilla together and set aside.
- Mix the flour and rest of dry ingredients together until blended in mixer. Add the butter and remaining sour cream and blend on low until ingredients are moistened.
- Gradually add egg mixture in 3 additions, beating 20 seconds after each addition. Increase speed and beat till batter is light and fluffy.
- Spread 2 cups of batter in pan and top with 1/2 cup blueberries. Sprinkle with half of sugar streusel. Repeat layers. Spread with remaining batter and top with pecan streusel.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Cool on wire rack 30 minutes. Invert out on plate and turn so streusel is on top. Cool 2 hours. Wrap in foil and store at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made this “best of show blueberry sour cream coffee cake yesterday!! Directions were crazy! My question would be do you think I could make it the “conventional way by creaming butter sugar then eggs sour cream. Etc. it seemed like a lot of extra steps and then to beat the whole batter until light and fluffy?? I thought also that once flour was incorporated that minimal mixing should be done? BTW IT WAS DELICIOUS!!
I would cut back on the sugar in the cake a bit, and I only needed about 3/4 of the sugar streusel. I'd use the whole amount of pecan streusel, and would not process them quite so fine. I used 1.5 cups of blueberries and about 3 tsp lemon zest. This was a lot of work, and very messy, but VERY much worth it!!
Put the pecan streusel in the bottom of the pan! Then add a layer of batter, then berries and sugar streusel, repeat, spreading a third layer of batter after the second berry layer. I had enough sugar streusel to cover the "top." I baked it on the lowest rack for 40 minutes and switched it to the middle rack for a final 20 minutes (at sea level). Rave reviews! It's a large cake and more substantial than a breakfast coffee cake. Delicious and moist and just perfect with a cup of coffee! Husband says: "Keep this recipe!"