Fantastic Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 cup sugar (or more or less to suit taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped (or 5 small apples)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (this can also be made in an 11 x 7-inch baking pan).
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla or almond extract (if using); beat for about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternating with sour cream.
- Fold in the apples.
- Spread the batter into prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
- Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
Join The Conversation