1/4 Photos of Crab Chowder
This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. If you prefer your soup a little thicker, crush 6 saltines into fine crumbs and add them at the end of the procedure, when you add the crab. From Gourmet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium boiling potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Chop bacon and in a 2-quart heavy saucepan cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- 2Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- 3While bacon is cooking, cut onion into 1/4-inch dice.
- 4Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- 5Stir onion, potatoes, and water into bacon fat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender and most of water is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- 6While mixture is simmering, pick over crab meat, removing any bits of shell and cartilage.
- 7Stir milk and cayenne into mixture and return just to a simmer.
- 8Add crab and salt and pepper to taste and bring chowder to a simmer.
- 9Serve chowder garnished with parsley and bacon.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (1475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.0
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Sodium 338.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 19.0 g