Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. If you prefer your soup a little thicker, crush 6 saltines into fine crumbs and add them at the end of the procedure, when you add the crab. From Gourmet.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium boiling potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Chop bacon and in a 2-quart heavy saucepan cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- While bacon is cooking, cut onion into 1/4-inch dice.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- Stir onion, potatoes, and water into bacon fat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender and most of water is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- While mixture is simmering, pick over crab meat, removing any bits of shell and cartilage.
- Stir milk and cayenne into mixture and return just to a simmer.
- Add crab and salt and pepper to taste and bring chowder to a simmer.
- Serve chowder garnished with parsley and bacon.
We really loved this chowder!
Wow, this chowder was excellant Bev. I made this tasty chowder exactly as written and it did not disappoint. We loved the addition of the cayenne. What flavor, great texture and it was quick and easy to make, what more could you want. This was a wonderful base for my Alaskan King Crab, it was terrific...I can't wait to try this with lobster, I know it will be amazing. Thanks for sharing this treasure.
We LOVED this recipe and I KNOW I will be making it again!! We're planning on adding fresh corn if it's in season next time we make this. Thanks for a great recipe!!