Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Warm, creamy, and smooth, this soup is rich and full of seafood. Add a few shrimp for an interesting variation.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 5 cups fish stock (chicken stock may be substituted)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- kosher salt (to taste)
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (may also use dry Masala or Madeira)
- minced fresh tarragon or minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (for garnish)
- Pick over crab for any bits of shell fragments.
- In a large pot, combine butter and oil and saute shallots until translucent.
- Add stock and cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer mixture on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add crabmeat and heat through.
- Stir in sherry and cook until heated, 2-3 minutes.
- Check for seasoning.
- Serve hot, garnished with minced tarragon (or parsley if that's what you have), if desired.
Just a quick note ~ Williams and Sonoma published this recipe back in 2003. Now you can easily find it online ~ http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/crab-bisque.html