Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A real stick-to-your-ribs soup that would please a hungry family.
Make and share this Cowboy Steak and Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless beef sirloin (1-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa or 1 (16 ounce) jar picante salsa
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen green beans
- 1 (1 lb) packagefrozen potato
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
- Cut the beef in to 1/4 inch thick strips; cut each strip into 1 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, basil, salt, pepper, garlic, and oil; toss to coat.
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the beef mixture; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in the broth, salsa, vegetables, onion, and red pepper. (DONOT STIR IN THE CAN OF BEANS OR THE SPINACH YET).
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer 25 minutes or until onions and red peppers are tender.
- Stir in the beans and cook 4-5 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Stir in the spinach.
Yee ha! Good, hearty soup & very easy to make with ingredients on hand. I used a fresh potato. Have made this twice within a week, so I consider it a major keeper for all types of cowboys!
My children loved this soup. I did a few substitutions for some ingredients because I didn't have all the ingredients called for here. I used homemade chicken stock + 1 cup water and a chipotle boullion, fresh potatos, added carrots and I used my Italian seasonings instead of the dry basil (didn't have any). I served it with a dallop of lite sour cream and fresh cilantro on top. Yumm....
My new favorite soup recipe. This was perfect. The combination of flavor was unsual but surprisingly great. By using a jar of spicy salsa, it had a good bit of spice. I pressure cooked this recipe. Where I would have brought it all to a boil normally, I put the lid on it and brought it to pressure. I pressure cooked it for 3 minutes. Turned out perfect. Where it says frozen potato, you can use the individual pieces of hash browns in the freezer section.