Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
A real stick-to-your-ribs soup that would please a hungry family.
Top Review by NancysFancies
Yee ha! Good, hearty soup & very easy to make with ingredients on hand. I used a fresh potato. Have made this twice within a week, so I consider it a major keeper for all types of cowboys!
- 1 lb boneless beef sirloin (1-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa or 1 (16 ounce) jar picante salsa
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen green beans
- 1 (1 lb) packagefrozen potato
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the beef in to 1/4 inch thick strips; cut each strip into 1 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, basil, salt, pepper, garlic, and oil; toss to coat.
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the beef mixture; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in the broth, salsa, vegetables, onion, and red pepper. (DONOT STIR IN THE CAN OF BEANS OR THE SPINACH YET).
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer 25 minutes or until onions and red peppers are tender.
- Stir in the beans and cook 4-5 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Stir in the spinach.