5 hrs 30 mins
From my heros at America's Test Kitchen (Cooks Illustrated Summer 2008). I'm always looking for dried bean recipies; even though it takes pre-planning at least the night before making the dish, the beans have more flavor and nutrition than the processed beans from the can. There are directions included in case your beans were not soaked the night before. Cook time does not include overnight soak and has assumed that the quick soak method was used. Adjust the heat, smoke, or salt by stirring in more hot sauce or barbecue sauce at serving time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g dried pinto beans or 453.59 g dried navy beans, washed and picked clean of any debris
- 4 slice bacon, chopped fine (about 4 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1064.65 ml water
- 236.59 ml strong black coffee
- 78.07 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 29.58 ml prepared brown mustard (such as Gulden's)
- 118.29 ml barbecue sauce, plus
- 29.58 ml barbecue sauce
- 2.46 ml hot sauce
- 9.85 ml salt
- ground black pepper
- 1Soak beans overnight -OR- place beans and 6 cups water in large Dutch oven. Bring to boil over high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover and allow beans to sit for 1 hour. Drain beans. Clean and dry pot.
- 2Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300°F Add bacon to pot and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in onion and cook until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add brown sugar, mustard, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, hot sauce, and salt. Return to boil over high heat, cover pot, and transfer to oven.
- 3Cook until beans are just tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened to syrupy consistency, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons barbecue sacue, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Beans can be refrigerated in airtight container for several days.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowboy Beans
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.7
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 1711.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
prepared brown mustard