Recipe by Sondra Beth
Adapted from Rachael Ray - 30 minute meals - A combination of boneless skinless tenderloins or breasts and thighs well lend to a more rustic, "cooked all day" taste. A very comforting meal on a cold day.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I usually stick to using chicken breasts but am glad I decided to include the thighs ~ A nice change of pace for us! A very tasty chicken dish that I served with brown rice! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt & pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken tenders or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped or 1⁄4 cup very finely chopped onion
- 3 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves removed and chopped to about 2 TBS or 4 sprigs about 1 tbs dried tarragon
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (32 ounce) canchunky-style crushed tomatoes or 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree or 1 (32 ounce) whole tomatoes, hand squeezed
- fresh Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the olive oil. Season the chicken with fresh ground salt & pepper, brown it in the oil for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
- Return pan to stove and reduce heat to medium. Add butter to the pan and saute the shallots, carrots, and mushrooms. Saute for 3 to 5 mnutes until mushrooms darken and carrot bits are fork tender. Add tarragon and parsley and stir. Add wine and reduce liquid for 1 or 2 minutes. Add tomatoes to the sauce and stir to combine. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer chicken in sauce for 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through an juices run clear.
- Top chicken with fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley when serving.
- Serve chicken with Herb and Buter Noodles and.
- Sugar Snap Peas.
- NOTE: Rachael recommended using a combination of both boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs as it lends to a "cooked all day taste".