1/2 Photos of Country Captain ( East India Chicken Curry)
Galley Wench's Note:
The original recipes comes from an old edition of Joy of Cooking. Over the years I've modified the recipe using only white meat and updating the cooking method. Serve over steamed white or brown rice. This is a recipe that can easily be adjusted to serve two! UPDATE 8/30/07: I've made some further adjustments to this recipe to give it more depth and 'kick it up a notch'. If using the Hot Madras Curry Powder suggest that you taste test after addition of the first teaspoon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 piece peeled fresh ginger (2-inch chunk)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or 1/2 cup finely sifted dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (adjust to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional, to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1In a small food processor (mini-chopper), combine the garlic and ginger and puree to a paste.
- 2Salt & pepper the chicken breast coat them in the flour or bread crumbs.
- 3Heat oil in frying pan or dutch oven and saute chicken to a golden brown.
- 4Remove, drain and place in a casserole.
- 5Saute the onions and green peppers in the pan with the drippings, adding more oil if necessary, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the garlic-ginger paste, bay leaf, curry powder,Garma Masalas, smoked paprika and jalapeno;cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 7Add tomatoes and simmer until the pan is deglazed.
- 8Pour sauce over the chicken and bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until chicken breast are tender. (I usually cover for the first 15 minutes and then uncover.).
- 9During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the currants.
- 10Serve over steamed rice garnished with toasted slivered almonds.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Captain ( East India Chicken Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.0
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 1107.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: