Saucy Country Captain Chicken
photo by pattikay in L.A.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
1 medium stew pot
- 1 whole chicken, cut in 1/8ths
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for browning chicken
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry, blend
- black pepper
- Flour and brown chicken in pot. (Remove skins before hand if you prefer.).
- Remove chicken and set aside on a platter.
- Sautee garlic, onion and mushrooms in same pot until onion is translucent. No need to add more oil.
- Add spices, then wet ingredients, then browned chicken.
- Simmer 45 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Per your preference, serve chicken whole over rice, or remove meat from bones, and add back into stew.
- Cooking with the bones in adds a lot of flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent!!! I used chicken thighs and seasoned the flour with salt & pepper, so I was able to cut back on the full teaspoon of salt. We're not too crazy about mushrooms so the last 10 minutes of cooking time, I stirred in ½ cup of raisins which beautifully complimented the curry. A definite keeper, thank you.
This is a very good recipe. I did cut the thyme and curry by half. I am not a huge curry fan so thought I should cut them both to balance it out. I could still taste the curry but not overwhelming. For curry lovers go for it with gusto! My husband and son both really liked it. My son said it is at least a 10 Star!! I used chicken breasts and cut them into thick strips which cut back the simmering time to about 30 minutes. I do think it would be wonderful with a variety of chicken parts but breasts are what I had on hand. I served it over fresh linguine which worked well. This is a keeper. Thanks for sharing.