Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (or use 2 cups of either Swiss or cheddar)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 -8 large potatoes (sliced about 1/4-inch thick or a little larger)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack set to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or larger).
- For the sauce; melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and whisk 1 minute.
- Slowly add in half and half cream and cook stirring until thickened, smooth and bubbly.
- Add in seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in the cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese; stir with a wooden spoon until the the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat.
- Layer the potatoes into the baking dish (does not have to be in an even layer).
- Pour the cheese sauce over, then mix the sauce using a spatula or a wooden spoon to coat the sauce with the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or to taste).
- Bake covered for about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is browned and the potatoes are tender About 35-40 minutes (baking time will vary depending on the size of the potato slices).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this with some ham steaks, so we had scalloped potatoes and ham!!! I used 26 oz bag of already peeled and sliced potatoes, which made for a really quick way to make the potatoes. I followed the directions, except I used a little of the seasoning salt and a little bit of sea salt and left out the cayenne pepper and didn't have the swiss cheese on hand, so just used the parmesan and cheddar. Thanks for sharing a great potato dish Kittencal!! Made for 123 Tag!!!
This got good reviews around the table! I would have preferred it to be a little more creamy (maybe I'll add less flour next time) and at the end it needed a touch more pepper. Thanks for posting :) I always enjoy trying your recipes! Update: 2 days later lol With a little extra salt and pepper the leftovers went from "good" to "man that's good! mmmmm mmmmm!!!!" Thanks again Kittencal :)