Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Martha Stewart Living magazine, July 2014 issue. This looks easy and delicious.
Make and share this Cornmeal-Berry Sheet Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 18 ounces berries (use mix or any one of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 325 deg F Butter a 9x13 baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving paper overhanging the long sides of the pan. Butter the parchment paper. (This is additional butter,not the butter called for in the ingredients list).
- Whisk together the flour, cormeal, bakiing powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and 1 1/2 c sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed, then add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mix 1/3 at a time, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle berries over the top and then sprinkle with the 2 tbl sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove and cut into pieces. Cake is best served the same day. Garnish with fresh berries and whipped cream.