Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A compliation of several different recipes that I found - none were *quite* right. To save time and money, you can also sub in Marzetti's Blue Cheese Vinagarette - it is a pretty good dressing without all the work!
- 1⁄3 cup sliced-lengthwise pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 cups chopped bibb lettuce or 3 cups butter lettuce
- 3 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta
- oil (for frying)
- crouton (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice each pecan half into three lengthwise pieces. Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Toss pecans with melted butter, then with the cinnamon/sugar mixture, tossing well to ensure a thorough coating. Put the nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until sugar is caramelized. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, slide the parchment together with the nuts off the sheet to cool, and set aside.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Chop the lettuces into smallish bite-sized pieces; use a salad spinner to wash and dry them. Slice the green onion.
- Break the angel hair into small, 2 inch pieces. Cook until al dente. Heat oil in a skillet, and fry drained pasta until crispy. Drain on paper towel and cool.
- Place the chopped lettuce in a large serving bowl (one large enough to toss the salad in). Add the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly to coat. Sprinkle with the chopped onion. Break the cooled pecan slices apart and sprinkle them over the salad.