Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I get a lot of requests for this pretty and flavorful pasta salad. I like lighter dressing, so if you like more, you may want to increase the oil and vinegar. I haven't gotten any complaints about this though - only compliments! :) I use dry, tri-color tortellini, but you can use refrigerated tortellini or whatever pasta you like. I think fresh herbs and fresh parmesan cheese (not the powdered stuff in the can!) make a big difference in this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but I think fresh broccoli would also be nice in this. This recipe makes a ton, so it is great for larger gatherings. The number of servings is a guess!
- 16 ounces cheese-filled egg tortellini
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package.
- When making any pasta salad, I prefer to under cook it by a minute or two so that it is a bit more firm, but this is up to you.
- Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, herbs, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and hot sauce in a medium bowl or large measuring cup.
- Combine peppers, onion, and olives in a very large bowl.
- Gently stir in tortellini.
- Pour dressing over salad and lightly toss to coat pasta and vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least four hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the cheeses on top.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe Vino Girl! I made this last night for a casual Sunday summer meal, and it was absolutely delicious! It took all of my willpower not to go back to the serving bowl for seconds and thirds. I used 2 cloves of freshly minced garlic instead of the granules and didn't have any feta on hand, so just added freshly grated Parmesan cheese and it was great. I skipped the green pepper and it was still colourful and completely appetizing.
Next time, I would pour half of the vinaigrette dressing onto the pasta, then refrigerate for four hours, then I would then add the rest of the dressing just before serving. Thanks!
This is a delicious salad! I cut the recipe in half and used fresh garlic (minced) and followed the rest of the instructions. I did add a little more cheese (we love cheese). We had unexpected company and this really made a hit. I ran up and made her a copy of the recipe to take home. Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Game.
A really pretty and satisfying summer salad. I used spinach tortellini stuffed with mushrooms and added tomatoes. Would add more cheese and a little less lemon if using mushroom totellini again.