Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Got this out of a Jane Brody cookbook. I guess I like it because it has cheese! And I definitely use more than the recipe calls for. I wasn't sure about the prep time - think that would depend on various factors...so I upped it a little.
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain,reserving the liquid,and set them aside to cool Using the reserved potato water,boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes- Drain and set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle,peel and mash with milk,butter,and salt and pepper,to taste.
- Add the reserved onion and cabbage mixture.
- Mix 2/3 of the cheese with the potatoes and transfer to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Heat in a moderately hot oven and let cheese on top brown slightly.
I made this for St. Patrick's day. It was very good & I will be making it again, however I think I will add a bit more seasoning as it was just a bit bland for my taste. A little more salt & pepper & it should be good to go. I also liked the suggestion of sour cream.
I loe colcannon and love this recipe with the cheese added. The cheese (I used sharp cheddar) gives this a nice golden color and slightly cheesey flavor. To make this a bit quicker, I peeled and cut up my potatoes prior to boiling them. I'll make this again. Thanx, MEP. We miss you.
Very good and very comforting - I'd definitely make this again. I know it wouldn't necessarily be tradidional, but the addition of green onion would work here.