Got this out of a Jane Brody cookbook. I guess I like it because it has cheese! And I definitely use more than the recipe calls for. I wasn't sure about the prep time - think that would depend on various factors...so I upped it a little.
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain,reserving the liquid,and set them aside to cool Using the reserved potato water,boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes- Drain and set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle,peel and mash with milk,butter,and salt and pepper,to taste.
- Add the reserved onion and cabbage mixture.
- Mix 2/3 of the cheese with the potatoes and transfer to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Heat in a moderately hot oven and let cheese on top brown slightly.