Recipe by Ariix
This is my favourite coffee cake recipe, which I've turned vegan with great success. Adapted from a sour cream coffee cake recipe that my mom used to make from The Joy of Cooking.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt (or just a few dashes)
- 236.59 ml plain soy yogurt (I use So Nice brand)
- 14.78 ml egg substitute (such as Ener-G)
- 59.16 ml water
For the topping
- 29.58 ml flour (whole wheat is good)
- 14.79 ml vegan margarine (or use veg. oil plus a dash of salt)
- 73.94 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml walnuts or 118.29 ml other nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the streusel topping: mix together the 2 tbsp flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, margarine in a small bowl; add nuts and set aside.
- Sift or stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir the egg replacer into the water until mixed (in a large bowl), then add the soy yogurt (be sure to use a brand of soy yogurt that is very smooth and creamy tasting).
- Add dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture and beat with a spoon just until smooth.
- Scrape into an 8" or 9" pan, either nonstick or lightly oiled/sprayed.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven, for about 30-35 minutes or until done (depends on the size/shape of your pan- you may need to check after 25 min if the pan is quite shallow).