Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
German Cookery (Hans Karl Adams)
- 7 ounces cod fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons sliced onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 teaspoons white wine
- lemon juice
- Lightly fry onions and chives in oil (do not brown) and lightly salt.
- Salt the fish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Place the fish on the onions and pour the white wine over. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes.
What a simple, yet delicious way of preparing cod! I could see using this with other types of fish as well. I used a small onion, halved and sliced into thin strips and plenty of fresh chives from my garden. I let my fish set in the fridge for probably 30 mins after squeezing the lemon juice over it. After sweating the onions, I added half my chives and a splash of wine, placed the seasoned cod on top and scattered the remaining chives over all and covered the skillet. My fish was done in 10 minutes. I removed the fish to a platter and reduced the sauce a bit over high heat before pouring it and the onions over my fish. This is a truly wonderful way to prepare fish. My partner and I had this with Recipe #99830. Thank you for sharing this!
After 5 minutes of cooking on simmer the fish was raw on the top. Turnrd the fish over and cooked for 5 more minutes and the fish was sort of done but tough. Sauce had good flavor which saved the day. There are better recipes for cod.
We loved it. My son loved it ( and he usually will only eat battered fish).I used a white onion and a little more wine than it called for..Delicious. Amy:-)