Früchtebrot Mit Backobst (Fruit Bread W/ Mixed Dried Fruit)
photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- Preheat oven (300°F, 150°C).
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add one egg after another and mix until mixture is foamy. Add the finely grated rind of 1 lemon.
- Mix the flour with baking powder, sieve and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Fold in dried fruit.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan form.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 300°F Increase heat after 30 minutes to 360 F (180 C) and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean bread is ready.
- Let cool in form for about 10 minutes. Then remove from form and let cool completely.
- Wrap into aluminum foil and store at least overnight.
- NOTE: rye flour can be replaced by unbleached wheat flour. You can also use whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour.
- NOTE: instead of dried currants and raisins you can use raisins only. You can also use other dried fruit of your own choice.
- NOTE: the bread can be stored tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and in a zip lock bag for weeks. In the beginning of December I make the Früchtebrot for Christmas. The taste is getting better with storage time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thorsten, this IS a delicious bread. I made up the batter and then filled two baby loaf pans with half the batter. I added cloves and cinnamon to the second half and made two more baby loaves with that. Still can't decide which is better. The rye flour really does give this bread a distincitve taste, yet it is very light. Everyone loved it!