Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is from the pages of Sunset Magazine. It is usually served at Luas and potlucks in Hawaii. If you love coconut give this a try! Cook time includes chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- vegetable oil, for oiling baking dish
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F Spread flaked coconut on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Oil an 8-in square baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth.
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (if you don't have enough, augment with water) and sugar. Stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.Drizzle cornstarch mixture slowly into saucepan, whisking, and whisk in vanilla and salt. Cook, whisking vigorously (do not allow to boil), until mixture is very thick, pulling away from pan, and no longer tastes floury, 4 to 6 minutes. Pour into prepared dish and spread evenly. Let cool briefly, then cover with plastic wrap and chill until set, at least 1 hour.
- Cut haupia into 22 to 24 triangles and sprinkle each with a pinch of toasted coconut.
Great! We couldn't wait and took it out before it was steady and it was a little sticky so oil well the dish! Amazing and easy vegan desert, will def. make again but this time will have more patience! Thanks!!
Delicous. I prepared them in a standard loaf pan, then sliced as directed.
These are so quick and easy to make. I did not do the flaked coconut on top and I cut mine in squares. But both husband and myself love them, they are a great dessert that is not to sweet. I now keep a tin of coconut milk if the cupboard for that quick treat.