Haupia Liliko‘i Pie (Hawaiian Coconut and Passion Fruit Pie)
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coconut milk (fresh or frozen preferred, but haupia with canned coconut milk is better than no haupia at all)
Passion Fruit Glaze
- 2 1⁄3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen passion fruit juice concentrate (liliko i)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Slowly add coconut milk, stirring until blended and cornstarch dissolves.
- Using a heat diffuser to prevent mixture from over-cooking, cook until thick and smooth.
- Pour into pie shell and chill until set.
- Blend sugar, cornstarch, juice concentrate, and water.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Cool slightly and pour over chilled haupia filling; chill until set again.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummo. With real :-) passionfruit to use, I went searching for a recipe. This was lovely. Sorry, but I had to use canned coconut! :-) When thickening the coconut milk it seems to start to curdle and I thought that I had ruined it with too much heat, but once it thickened and I took it off the heat, I gave it a good mixing with a wooden spoon and it smoothed out lovely. Will make it again.