Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich and smooth. It takes half an hour to make, but it well worth the effort. Posting in response to a request. Plan ahead as it needs time to chill.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Separate the egg yolks from whites.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat.
- Stir butter, vanilla, and coconut into the hot mixture.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then pour into serving dishes and chill several hours until serving time.
- The hot mixture can also be poured into a baked 9 inch pie crust for coconut cream pie.
- Top with meringue and brown or just top with whipped cream.
Can't go wrong with homemade pudding of any kind.