Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't had the chance to try this yet. I wanted to post it here for safekeeping. I'm hoping it is the coconut custard recipe that I have been searching for.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- In uncovered 2-quart saucepan simmer sugar, water and cinnamon for 10 minutes. Strain; discard cinnamon pieces. Add coconut; cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until syrup is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk; cook until mixture is hot. In bowl beat eggs with remaining 1/2 cup milk. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg mixture; return to saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture thickens slightly but does not boil. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a 1-1/2 quart bowl or individual serving dishes; chill.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with almonds, if desired.
Hecho para ZWT 5 para la regiÃ³n de MÃ©xico. What a lovely creamy coconut filled custard. I added a splash of creme de cacao. For team Zaar Chow Hounds
Very good custard, we made this for ZWT. I didn't get a photo because it was eaten too quickly. It makes a large amount of custard, so I would halve it if you don't have a large group.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! Ummmm, this is delicious! I halved the recipe & also I added a touch of coconut cream which really added to the final result! We all loved this - thanks for a great recipe :)