1/2 Photos of Classic Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Forget mini pie pans and individual crusts. Getting all the flavor and warmth of classic chicken pot pie is even simpler in an all-in-one casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped leeks (3 medium) or 1 cup onion (1 large)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced celery (1-1/2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half, light cream or 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup loose-pack frozen peas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Prepare Pastry, set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan cook leek, mushrooms, celery, and sweet pepper in hot butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add broth and half-and-half all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- 3Place pastry over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry under; flute to edges of dish. Brush pastry with some of the egg. If desired, place cut-out pastry shapes on top of pastry. Brush again with egg.
- 4Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- 5PASTRY TOPPER:.
- 6In a medium bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until dough pieces are pea-size.
- 7Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over the mixture 1 Tbsp at a time, gently toss with a fork until all dough is moistened.
- 8Form into a ball.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13x9-inch rectangle.
- 10Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape, or, if desired, use a small cookie cutter to cut shapes from pastry (I like to wait and do this once it on the pie - makes moving it a lot easier).
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.9
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 149.7 mg
- Sodium 799.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 35.3 g