Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The flavor of a cinnamon roll and the ease of a coffee cake! A friend emailed me this recipe, which she got from a message board. This is quick to put together, super moist and simply delicious. It is different than many coffee cakes out there and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! The original baking time I was given was 50-60 minutes. Mine was done in 40 minutes, so I changed the baking time on it. If yours takes longer than what I have stated, I guess it was just my oven. :)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat oven to 350°; coat a 9" pan with nonstick spray.
- Stir together brown sugar, cream, and pinch of salt for the caramel. Pour into prepared pan and spread to coat the bottom. Sprinkle pecans over the caramel.
- Process brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoons salt for the streusel in a food processor. Pulse until small clumps form; set aside. If you don't have a food processor, do it by hand.
- Whisk buttermilk, yogurt, and eggs together.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and 1/2 teaspoons salt together.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer just until combined.
- Alternately add dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry. Blend each addition just until incorporated.
- Spread half the batter over the caramel, then sprinkle with half the streusel. Carefully spread remaining batter over that and top with remaining streusel.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake for 5 minutes on a rack, then run a paring knife around the sides to loosen. Invert onto a serving platter while hot, then let cool slightly before slicing.
- The top is a little sticky, so use a sharp thin bladed knife to cut.
This was a great coffee cake! I checked it after 40 minutes and it still need the full hour before it was baked fully. The bottom layer did not come out when I flipped the cake over, so I scraped it out and placed it on top. It did n;t look as pretty but still tasted good!
I liked this recipe but found that the bottom "caramel" didnt come out sticky enough... Im thinking next time I make it I will pour the caramel bottom over the top of the cake instead...
Excellent coffee cake easy and tasty. Made almost exactly as written but did not have vanilla yogurt so subbed sourcream with about 1 tsp. of vanilla stirred in. I baked for 40 minutes but really could have used 45 or 50 as the bottom layer middle was still very gooey but we just cut that part off and ate it any way. The middle layer of cinnamon, butter and sugar is very thick as I made it in a 9 inch springform pan. If you like it rich leave it as is or you might halve the filling or double the batter but you will need a larger pan. Spray the pan very well as the lovely carmel layer wants to stick. All and all a very pleasy delicious desert or breakfast. Thank you for the great recipe.