- 3⁄4 cup cooked lentils (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit if using canned lentils)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- softened cream cheese
- Note on lentils: if using canned lentils, drain first and omit salt; if using dry (my preference is dry red lentils) measure 1/3 cup rinsed lentils into saucepan, add 2/3 cup water and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes; (may need to add a small amount of water); cool and measure.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash lentils with fork in mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla extract to lentils; mix just to combine.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in separate bowl.
- Add dry mixture and blend until combined; fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into greased muffin tins, and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes for easy turn out, then dust tops with confectioners sugar.
- Serve with softened cream cheese.
A friend who never sends recipes suggested I try this. WOW! I substituted Spenda for the sugar and chopped sugar-free chocolate for the nuts and it was amazing!!!!! Thanks for posting, Princess!
Love this recipe. I was looking for a way to use up my stockpile of lentils that wasn't either a curry or a soup and found your recipe. What a little gem! I made it with extra baking soda & powder as "poo" recomended, didn't like the result.. just made me notice the lentils because they were the bits that didn't fluff up! :) So the second time I made them just as the recipe.. love them! They freeze well, so if I need a quick cupcake.. just ice with cream cheese icing and put a walnut 1/2 on top. Tell everyone they are "Cinnamon Walnut Muffins".
These are delicious. I used 1/2 cup brown sugar only, I subbed out the oil for applesauce, used no raisins or nuts and no cream cheese/sugar topping. They were very sweet and moist, great recipe! My children loved them!