Recipe by Kim D.
I used to make this pasta dish alot but had forgot all about it until recently finding the recipe! Although the list of ingredients is long, it is actually simple to make. I found the recipe in an issue of Better Homes and Garden's 'Simply Pasta' magazine in 1995.
Top Review by Redox
I've been making this for years - I found it in another issue of BH&G. This is a flat-out delicious recipe! I like to top it with Parmesan cheese, but that's just me. Please use all the spices to get the wonderful complex flavor that this delivers. There's no need to drive to Cincinnati to enjoy this terrific dish.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 8 ounces American cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized stock pot, brown ground beef, 1 cup chopped onions, and garlic; drain.
- Place meat back into stock pot and add tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, chocolate chips, vinegar, honey, pumpkin pie spice, cumin, cardomom and cloves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Skim off fat if necessary.
- Cook pasta and drain; keep warm.
- Heat kidney beans and drain; keep warm.
- To serve, layer on a plate as follows: Pasta, chili, beans, chopped onions, and cheese.