Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my absolute favorite mushroom soup! I came up with this recipe after reading a similar recipe in a magazine....I added more stuff...especially mushrooms! there's NO pureeing, so it's really chunky. You can use virtually any combo of mushrooms, but the button and baby bellas have been my favorite so far. Prep time includes chopping all ingredients plus cooking and stirring.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb fesh baby portabella mushrooms, chopped (or shitakes)
- 5 cups beef broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups evaporated 2% milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon parsley (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
- In a large pot over med-high heat, melt butter. Add onions, garlic and carrots and cook until onions and carrots are tender. Reduce heat to med-low.
- Add the mushrooms; cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occassionally, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add broth, cream, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, tarragon and parsley. Cook over med-low heat until heated through.
- Serve and garnish soup with extra parsley flakes; if desired.
- For vegetarian use vegetable broth.
I really enjoy a good mushroom soup! I thought that the addition of the shredded carrots made this soup different from other mushroom soups. I admit to cutting way back on the butter....I am wathing my cholesterol. I also had to skip the tarragon, because that is one herb that I never have on hand.
Chunky delicious!! I left out the tarrgon because I do not like it. Used beef broth, less butter and cheese. This was very easy to make and the tasty results seem like you spent all day making it. I can't wait to make this again. Thanks for posting.
This was a very tasty soup...perfect for mushroom lovers like myself. Next time I make it, I might reduce the amount of butter included; there was quite a bit of oil on the top of the soup (then again, the butter really tastes great in this). I also pureed half the soup so the broth was a little thicker...just a personal preference, though. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I made the full amount, and I'm going to enjoy every serving. :) UPDATE: I reheated some of this soup after freezing it...it was so amazing that I just have to change my rating to 5 stars. My boyfriend really enjoyed it, too.