Hungarian Mushroom Soup
photo by Garrett H.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed (A MUST!)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over med heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushroom and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and chicken broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately. Even better the next day!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Best mushroom soup I've ever made. Mine came out a little darker than the photo of this soup, probably because I used half portabellas. I did cook my mushrooms slightly longer, but followed everything else the same. A very filling soup, and much healhier than most cream soup recipes. I think next time I make it, I will add some garlic and see what that does for it (we are huge garlic fans in this house). Oh, and next time, I'm doubling the recipe!!
Well verilucky, I believe that your Husband is the lucky one. When I first test a recipe I make it as written. These folks that change sometimes better than half the original ingredients before trying it (other than someone with a dietary problem) Bug the you know what out of me. This deserves a 10. Ingredients, flavor, simplicity, etc. FANTASTIC. As some of the folks say, This IS a keeper. Thank you. Cap'n Jack
We LOVED this soup. Our local gourmet market sells one for $5. a pint!!I found this recipe, and we like it even better than the markets. I agree that the dill is a must. I think that what put this over the top was the lemon juice. It added such a bright flavor. I thank you, my husband thanks you, and my wallet thanks you!!
The 1st mushroom soup I ever made & it was decliously spicy! Such a fantastic soup! I made a few tweaks which I think other people might like. First, since I had them in the refrigerator I added a container (1 oz) of dried Porcini mushrooms. I re-constituted them in hot water for about 15 mins, I then diced them and reserved the water. I then added these mushroom to the baby bella fresh mushrooms I used. Then I substituted 2 cups of chicken broth with 1 cup broth and 1 cup of the reserved mushroom water from the Porcini's, Then prior to adding the sour cream, I used an immersion blender. Just enough to break things up, but not enough to make it completely smooth. The result is a darker soup, but oh soooo delicious! Enjoy!