Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Christy is a truly wonderful cook, especially talented with dessert. This cake is her specialty, good with fresh whipped cream, fruits or just plain. Don't leave out the mace, it adds a nice flavor. It's called cold oven pound cake because you bake in an oven that has not been preheated.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (no substitutes!)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- Cream together sugar and butter; add milk.
- Mix eggs in one at a time; add mace and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in flour.
- Pour into a buttered tube pan.
- Place cake in a cold oven.
- Turn oven to 325° and bake 1 hour, 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
So easy to make with such great results! I make a great Lemon/Mace sugar cookie so I added the zest from 2 lemons to this recipe and glazed it with a lemon/sugar glaze. Use a 12 cup Bundt pan as it's quite a bit of batter. Shared this with friends and they asked for the recipe before they were done eating it!
This cake is easy and incredible! Whenever we get together with neighbors they insist I always bring this cake. I add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the recipe. Don't ever leave out the mace!
You're right about the mace, it adds a nice flavor. I liked this because it yields a nice pound cake, but without all the fuss of other pound cake recipes I have tried.