Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so easy to make as you just put everything, except the cherries, in a bowl and mix it, adding the cherries last. It is so pretty and so good. It is nice with a cup of tea or for giving in a pretty little basket along with some tea. You could put a pretty tea cup in the basket, too. If you like fewer cherries, use the lesser amount; I like more so I use the whole jar.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup chopped maraschino cherry (about a 10-11 oz. jar)
- Dump everything but the cherries in a mixing bowl and beat well, scrape, and mix again.
- Add the cherries and mix well.
- Put into a greased bread pan.
- 350 oven for 60-70 minutes still a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool.
- Store at least 8 hours before slicing.
- Note: To substitute soured milk for buttermilk, add vinegar to the whole milk and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the bowl. This is what I use usually.
This is almost too easy to make. I make exactly as written except we cold not wait 8 hours before cutting. My family was eating this almost right out of the oven. I found that this was not too sweet like some cakes. Thanks for the recipe.
Fantastic this is so good, I made mine in mini loaf pans and they rose beautifully, I love the addition of the maraschino juice, thanks for another great recipe Mimi!
Absolutely the best bread ever! I have already made this twice with rave reviews and am so excited to have found this recipe! I followed the recipe exactly except that I put in more cherries (a jar and a half) and it was so very delicious.....