Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I have been making this cake for years and it is always a big success. It makes a large cake. Just remember that the key to making a good pound cake is to stir the flour before measuring and to sift before adding to cake mixture.
- Cream together the butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately until creamy.
- Bake in 10 inch tube pan or bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- If you do not want a chocolate pound cake, just leave off the cocoa.
I added another 1/4 cup of cocoa in exchange for 1/4 cup flour. I also added a 1/4 cup of sour cream. I also drizzled with a chocolate glaze. I made it for a Japanese exchange dinner that my husband and I did. The Japanese love chocolate cake but don't like too sweet, so this was perfect. THey even asked for more!
This is a delicious pound cake
this is the ONLY chocolate pound cake my family will eat. it is requested all the time. it has just the right amount of cocoa. i usually add a fudge frosting for my chocoholic brothers and sisters.