Recipe by Georgie SkunkWoolfe
This is a rich, chocolaty cake that is simple to make and stores well staying moist. This has long been my favorite recipe and while growing up I always requested it for a birthday cake. My Mother always led me to believe that it was a very complicated and complex cake to make whenever I asked for it, I suppose to make me think it was something special. It wasn't until i moved out and asked for the recipe that I learned how simple it really was. Clever lady my Mother. :) Makes 9 X 16 cake or 2 -9X9 cakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa
Blend to gether and add to above
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the two sets of ingredients together whisking well until a smooth batter is created.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 X 16 or 9 X 18 baking pan.
- slightly jiggle pan to smooth out batter and to help release any large air bubbles that may be trapped in the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- NOTE:Low fat Mayonnaise or Salad dressing may be used in this recipe if you wish however it will change the texture of the cake but not the flavor.
- My Mother has made this recipe using low fat mayo and carob powder.
- I have not tried this version but she said it was good.