Memory Lane Mayonnaise Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
1 Loaf or Angel Food Cake size pan
- Grease a loaf or an Angel food cake pan.
- Mix sugar, mayonnaise and vanilla in large bowl.
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and pour over dates and nuts if using them. (If not using dates and nuts just add the plain baking soda and water mixture to the batter). Combine all and beat until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350°F.
- NOTE: If you do not use the dates and nuts, cake will take less baking time.
- Depending on your oven, approximately 30 minutes less time.
- If you prefer a chocolate cake add 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour before sifting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe and a delicious cake. I did it without the dates and nuts. I never thought I would make a cake out of mayonnaise since I really can't stand the stuff. Nor did I think one could use mayo to make a cake. Creativity! I also did one with the cocoa powder and I think I like the plain one better. Too many chocolate cakes around. Thanks for sharing a great heirloom recipe.