Recipe by KittyKitty
This trifle is super, yummy, with chocolate, mascarpone custard, amaretto and mandarins.
- 4 single trifle sponge cakes
- 14 amaretti cookies or 14 almond cookies
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto, di saronno or 1⁄4 cup sweet sherry
- 8 mandarin oranges
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into squares
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup fromage frais or 1 cup cream cheese
- chocolate, shapes
- mandarin orange pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Break up the trifle sponges and place them in a large glass serving dish. Crumble the amaretti cookies over them and then sprinkle with amaretto or sweet sherry.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 of the mandarins and sprinkle into the dish. Segment the rest and out them in the dish.
- Make the custard. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over hot water. In a Seperate bowl mix the cornstarch, sugar and egg yolks to a smooth paste.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling then pour in a steady stream onto the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return to the clean pan and stir over low heat until the custard has thickened slightly and is smooth.
- Stir in the mascarpone until melted, then add the melted chocolate, mixing it thoroughly. Spread evenly over the trifle, cool, then chill until set.
- To finish, spread the fromage frais over the custard, then decorate with chocolate shapes and remaining mandarin slices just before serving.