1/2 Photos of Chocolate Chip Scones
A recipe I found at King Arthur's Flour site and here is the intro they gave: Chocolate chips make EVERYTHING better, and scones are no exception! These rich, tender scones aren’t overly sweet, allowing the flavor of dark chocolate to shine through. Serve them as is, or spread with raspberry or apricot jam for one of those "big sigh" moments. For ultra-tender texture, we like to use one of our lower-protein pastry flours in these scones. Use all-purpose if that’s what you have; the dough will be a bit stiffer. Scones will still be tasty, just not quite so tender.
My Private Note
3 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups pastry flour (can use cake flour or All purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 3/4 cup cream (half and half, light, heavy, or whipping cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (9 to 12 ounces)
- coarse white sparkling sugar, for topping (or demerara sugar)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet.
- 2In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder till thoroughly combined. Add the butter, working it in until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- 3Whisk together the cream , eggs, and vanilla. Set aside 2 tablespoons, and add the rest to the dry ingredients, along with the chocolate chips. Mix to form a moist dough.
- 4Transfer the sticky dough to a heavily floured rolling mat or other work surface. Gently pat and round it into an 8" circle. Brush the dough with the reserved egg/cream mixture, and sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
- 5Dip a 2" round cutter in flour, and use it to cut out a total of 16 scones; you’ll have to gather the scraps and reshape the dough once. Space the scones evenly on the prepared pan.
- 6Bake the scones for 20 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm. If not serving immediately or within a couple of hours, store in an airtight container. To reheat, wrap loosely in aluminum foil, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Scones
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.8
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 139.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g