Simple Pizza Dough
King Arthur's Flour recipe. Prep time includes rising time.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (4 1/4 oz / 121g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄3 cup pizza sauce, your favorite
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup ham or 1/4 cup sausage, etc,cooked
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (you can use 3/4 cup total of any topping you like)
- Using a wooden spoon/mixer with dough hooks, combine all the dough ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, until a soft, slightly sticky dough is formed.
- Add a few tsp of water if your dough seems dry.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled surface, knead it lightly with oiled hands.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour; it might not necessarily double in bulk (usually I let dough rise in a turned-off oven or microwave).
- Punch down the dough and roll it into a ball.
- Flatten in and roll it to desired thickness and size to fit your pizza pan (if dough resists rolling, let it rest for 10mins before rolling again).
- Let rise for another 30mins; preheat oven to 425°F/ 220°C.
- Prior to baking, poke holes all over the dough with a fork.
- Bake for 10-15mins before topping the pizza; finally, bake for another 5-10mins until topping is hot and cheese has melted.
- NOTE- if you like super crispy crust like I do, preheat a baking sheet at 475°F/ 240°C for for 5-10mins, then slide the pizza pan (with the crust) onto the hot baking sheet; Bake for 15mins, then put your topping and bake for another 15mins (if you have baking stone, use that instead of the baking sheet).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was so good and so simple. I made it just as directed and loved the addition of spices in the crust. For us it made one large thin and crispy dough, just what we wanted. For topping used ground pork, red/yellow peppers, onions and mushrooms and topped with plenty of cheese. It was so good that everyone got into it even before I could get the picture so had to hurry to get the photo I did. thanks so much for posting.Reply
see 4 more