Born with a Rice Krispie treat in my hand, you better believe I know my Krispies. Even if you are not a Rice Krispie fan, this will become one of your regular "goody" recipes!
- Mix peanut butter, Karo syrup, and sugar in a pot, and bring to a slight boil. Stir until creamy.
- Take mixture off the burner, and mix with Rice Krispies cereal.
- Spread mixture in 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in microwave (start with 1-2 minutes, then, stirring intermittently, 30-second intervals until melted).
- Spread melted chips over Rice Krispie mixture.
- Refrigerate until chocolate-butterscotch mixture hardens (very quick, about 30 minutes).
- Cut into 2x2-inch squares. Enjoy!
These are the BEST! The thick melted chocolate/butterscotch chips topping and the peanut butter mixed into the bars adds so much to this already delicious treat. These are highly addictive and wonderful to have around the house or to bring to any gathering (worth inventing an occasion just to make them! :)) I made the recipe exactly as listed, except I melted the chips together on the stovetop instead of the microwave, lightly greased the pan, and allowed them to set at room temperature instead of chilling them. They were perfect! Thanks so much! I will make these a million times over!
This is the same recipe I have been making for years. The only thing I changed was to use chunky peanut butter. Please don't forget the butterscotch chips, you can't taste them and they make a BIG difference. I left them out once and my family knew with the first bite!!!!
I love the addition of the butterscotch chips! A distinct improvement over the recipe I used to make that only had chocolate chips. I made half a batch (only the two of us) and it fit nicely in an 8 x 8 pan. Thanks so much for sharing!