Prep 14 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 12 medium unbaked tart shells
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Chop each of three squares of chocolate into 16 pieces.
- Place 4 chunks into bottom of each tart shell.
- Whisk together brown sugar,corn syrup, egg, butter, vanilla, vinegar, and salt.
- Spoon into tart shells, filling three-quarters full.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until filling is puffed and bubbly and pastry is a light golden brown.
- Let cool on racks.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate.
This is one our favorite butter tarts and a must on the holiday goodie tray! Wilton has a 6 oz squeeze bottle that I use instead of spooning the brown sugar mixture into the tart (less mess) I make mini tarts and get 24 tarts. My family prefers all the chocolate chopped into the tart and no drizzle, but for the photo I put a little drizzle on. Mine baked up in 8 minutes in a 450 oven. Thanks so much for a great recipe.