Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fire up the grill for this delicious burger.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from canned chipotle in adobo sauce plus 2 t
- 2 (11 ounce) cans tomatillos, chopped and drained
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- olive oil, for grill
- 2 small red onions, cut into 16 thin slices
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 16 thin slices
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, thinly shredded
- Line 2 baking sheets with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Using hands, combine chicken, sauce, tomatillos, yellow onion, cilantro, garlic and cumin in a bowl.
- Form into 16 (3 1/2-inch) thin patties (about 1/3 cup each).
- Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
- Using a 4-inch biscuit cutter, cut tortillas into 16 smaller rounds.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil, turning once, until golden and slightly crisp, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer on baking sheet to a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- Grill burgers, turning once, until cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large plate.
- Assemble burgers: Place 1 tortilla round on each serving plate, then top with 1 burger, 1 red onion slice and 1 tomato slice, another burger, onion and tomato slice.
- Top each with lettuce and tortilla round.
- Serve warm.
This was fun to try. A very different burger recipe than I've ever had before. I liked everything except it seemed it was missing something. Maybe some guacamole or something would have added a lot. The tortilla "buns" were great too. Thanks so much for posting.
These are an interesting alternative to burgers which we enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!