Recipe by twissis
I found 9 RZ recipes for this type dish, but none at all like it & it sounds so good to me! I found it in the "Tasty Holiday Gifts" cookbook SusieQusie spotted at a bookstore in Dallas recently. From their intro: "This spicy Chilies Rellenos Casserole is a great new way to serve eggs at Easter & it's easy to reheat for a delicious brunch dish! The quiche-like casserole features a "crust" of green chilies + a cheesy egg filling & is served w/sour cream & salsa." Since this is a meatless dish, I see spicy grd pork patties as a good side or even some yummy & well-cooked chorizo sausage as a good add to the dish. I would personally make this yr-round if I could, but I rarely see green chilies here & may have to wait for another visit to SQ in Dallas to enjoy it. (Times were not given & have been estimated)
Top Review by saflowerlady
Being a Texas girl I can share a quick fix to adding more of the corn tortilla "flavor". Toast the strips of corn tortilla first in the oven with non stick olive oil spray. This keeps it from blending in with wet items too much. Also, if you don't have the fabu...Chili relleno, use serranos. I also like to add tomatoes, and cilantro, too! Yum.
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (peeled, whole, mild & well-drained)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 corn tortillas (5 1/2 in size, cut into sml pieces)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (roughly 8 oz by weight)
- sour cream (to serve as garnish)
- salsa (to serve as garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slit ea chili lengthwise & spread open. Place in a single layer in a greased 7x11 inch glass baking dish.
- In a sml skillet, melt butter over med-heat. Add onion, cook till tender & remove from heat.
- In a lrg bowl, combine onion mixture, eggs, sour cream, flour, salt & pepper.
- Stir in tortilla pieces + cheese & pour over chilies.
- Bake 25-30 min or till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately w/sour cream & salsa -- or cool, cover & refrigerate till ready to serve.
- TO SERVE AFTER REFRIGERATION: Cover & bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 min or till heated through. Serve hot w/sour cream & salsa.