Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is on yellowed paper from a dot matrix printer (remember those?) in my big black notebook. It has its own special taste - kids and adults both like it because it isn't too hot. Easy to make despite the long list of ingredients. Serve with bowls of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and sliced scallions (including tops) or finely chopped white onion.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Angostura bitters
- 18 ounces good quality beer
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, pressed or smashed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Crumble beef into a 5 to 6 quart pot and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Drain off grease.
- Stir in tomatoes and their liquid, tomato puree, kidney beans, Worcestershire sauce, bitters, beer, garlic, red pepper flakes, Bay leaf, chili powder, coriander, cumin, thyme, oregano, and basil.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chili is thick, about 2 hours.
- Taste seasoning and remove Bay leaves.
- Ladle into bowls and pass cheddar cheese, sour cream, and onions to spoon over individual servings.