2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is on yellowed paper from a dot matrix printer (remember those?) in my big black notebook. It has its own special taste - kids and adults both like it because it isn't too hot. Easy to make despite the long list of ingredients. Serve with bowls of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and sliced scallions (including tops) or finely chopped white onion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Angostura bitters
- 18 ounces good quality beer
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, pressed or smashed
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1Crumble beef into a 5 to 6 quart pot and cook, stirring, until browned.
- 2Add onion and cook until soft.
- 3Drain off grease.
- 4Stir in tomatoes and their liquid, tomato puree, kidney beans, Worcestershire sauce, bitters, beer, garlic, red pepper flakes, Bay leaf, chili powder, coriander, cumin, thyme, oregano, and basil.
- 5Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chili is thick, about 2 hours.
- 6Taste seasoning and remove Bay leaves.
- 7Ladle into bowls and pass cheddar cheese, sour cream, and onions to spoon over individual servings.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili for Dinner Tonight!
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.2
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 661.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 41.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: