Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a quick and easy favorite in our house. You will need either one large casserole dish or two small ones. The long kind (9x6, I think) will hold the whole recipe.
- 240.97 g box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 14.78 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml milk
- 425.24 g canprepared chili (any brand is fine. I use the WalMart brand)
- 473.18 ml shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml mild salsa
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 slice butter (3 if you have to use two casserole dishes)
- Mix egg, sugar, milk and cornbread mix.
- The box may call for less milk but a half cup makes the batter loose enough for this recipe.
- Butter your casserole dish and pour in batter. Set it aside.
- Mix onion, bell peppers, chickpeas, salsa, chili and half the cheese and spoon on top of the corn bread batter.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheese is browning and bubbling.
Mmm, this recipe is sooo good! Its hearty, filling and just plain delish! The crust is soft and fluffy and goes great with the chilli. I made my own vegetarian chilli and used this copycat recipe for the mix Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Copycat, which worked out fabulously!
I left out the sugar and butter and found they werent needed to make this super yummy. Oh and I also reduced the cheese to 1/2 cup, which was plenty for our taste.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing such a keeper with us, Mike's Goddess!
Made and reviewed on Recommendation of Sydney Mike July 2011.
Made a couple of changes. I hate chickpeas, so I substituted a can of white hominy. Green peppers make me burp, so I substituted a can of diced green chiles. This was an easy recipe. Lots of cans. Makes a good weekend dinner.
I made today a vegetarian version of this pie. It was soooo good!! I used the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Copycat from this site. The only change I made it was to cut the sugar to half. Thank you for sharing!