Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great veggie burger recipe with a chili and cumin kick in it. We make these all the time to get a vegetarian protein fix. Adapted from a great Moosewood Restaurant Recipe. These are really filling, so we've found that slightly thinner, smaller patties are usually better, and you can fit toppings on that way. We will also sometimes add a tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes in with the cumin and chili pepper to really spice it up!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and grated carrot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans (2 15-oz cans, drained) or 3 cups kidney beans (2 15-oz cans, drained)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Saute onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add carrots, chili powder and cumin. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, or run through a food processor.
- Add the mustard, soy sauce, ketchup or tomato paste and the sauteed vegetables.
- Mix in the oats.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Moisten your hands and form the burger mixture into six or so patties.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and cook burgers on medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes on each side. Put them on a bun and they are good to go with ketchup or whatever sauce you like and toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.)!
This was excellent! I made these with only one can of kidney beans to make 5 patties, and they are great! I'd definitely make these again!
I loved this recipe. We followed the directions exactly and then grilled them. This wasn't a success for the kids. My husband thought it was ok, but he loves his burgers and suggested I add a little beef. I explained that would totally defeat the purpose! Anyway if you are a vegetarian or you just want a break from your normal menu...this really is a wonderful recipe, full of favor and very filling. Thanks for posting it!! ***We used a 1/2 cup scoop to make 8 patties. Also I put them in the freezer for 20 minutes before grilling.
I used black beans and loved them but they fell apart. Will have to try smaller burgers or adding more liquid.