Recipe by Two Expats in France
Great veggie burger recipe with a chili and cumin kick in it. We make these all the time to get a vegetarian protein fix. Adapted from a great Moosewood Restaurant Recipe. These are really filling, so we've found that slightly thinner, smaller patties are usually better, and you can fit toppings on that way. We will also sometimes add a tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes in with the cumin and chili pepper to really spice it up!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and grated carrot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans (2 15-oz cans, drained) or 3 cups kidney beans (2 15-oz cans, drained)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add carrots, chili powder and cumin. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, or run through a food processor.
- Add the mustard, soy sauce, ketchup or tomato paste and the sauteed vegetables.
- Mix in the oats.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Moisten your hands and form the burger mixture into six or so patties.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and cook burgers on medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes on each side. Put them on a bun and they are good to go with ketchup or whatever sauce you like and toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.)!