Red Bean and Mushroom Veggie Burgers
From a little book called Best-Ever Burgers, these veggie burgers can be enjoyed by vegans and vegetarians. With salad and pita bread they make a substantial meal. Be sure to thoroughly drain the beans after rinsing to help with binding the burgers together.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 115 g mushrooms, finely chopped (4oz)
- 400 g red kidney beans, drained, rinsed & mashed well with a fork (14oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- wholemeal flour, for shaping
- olive oil, for brushing
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add the spices and cook for a further minute, stirring continuosly.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened and dry then remove from heat.
- Stir the mashed kidney beans into the pan, with the fresh cilantro and some salt & pepper.
- Using floured hands, form the mixture into four flat burger shapes (if the mix is too sticky to handle, mix in a little flour).
- Brush the burgers with oil and cook on a hot BBQ or under a preheated grill (broiler) for 8-10 minutes, turrning once, until golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I chose this recipe because it sounded different in a good way. I was NOT disappointed nor was my husband. You had to eat them open faced on a slice of toast and top it with all your favorite condiments, catsup, brown mustard,hot pepper rings or even salsa. They were a thick mushy consistency but delicious . Open faced is the only way to enjoy as a sandwich.Reply