1/1 Photo of Chilean-Style Avocado and Shrimp Salad
I'm posting this for ZWT 4 Central and South American Recipes. From Foods of the Americas: Native Recipes and Traditions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 8 shrimp, peeled, deveined and heads removed (16 to 20 count)
- 1 anchovy fillet, soaked in a little milk to remove some of the salt
- 1/2 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1Combine the water, bay leaf, allspice, lemon and salt in a saucepan over high heat.
- 2Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to medium-low and add the shrimp.
- 3Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the shrimp are curled and pink. Do not overcook the shrimp, as they are significantly better if just cooked through.
- 4Drain the shrimp and allow to cool completely before assembling the salad.
- 5To prepare the sauce, rinse the anchovy fillet, pat dry with paper towels and mince.
- 6Combine the anchovy, parsley and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- 7Place a strainer over the bowl and juice the lemon over the contents.
- 8Add the pepper and red peppers and whisk to blend completely.
- 9To assemble the salad, cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits. With a large spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh and reserve the empty shells to present the salad.
- 10Distribute the cabbage among 4 salad plates.
- 11Make a hollow in the center of the cabbage and place the empty avocado shell in the hollow.
- 12Cut the avocado flesh into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 13Place the shrimp and avocado in a bowl.
- 14Fold the sauce into the shrimp mixture and mound the salad in the avocado shells.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chilean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilean-Style Avocado and Shrimp Salad
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.3
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.1 mg
- Sodium 497.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: