- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 lemon, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 8 shrimp, peeled, deveined and heads removed (16 to 20 count)
- 1 anchovy fillet, soaked in a little milk to remove some of the salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water, bay leaf, allspice, lemon and salt in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to medium-low and add the shrimp.
- Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the shrimp are curled and pink. Do not overcook the shrimp, as they are significantly better if just cooked through.
- Drain the shrimp and allow to cool completely before assembling the salad.
- To prepare the sauce, rinse the anchovy fillet, pat dry with paper towels and mince.
- Combine the anchovy, parsley and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Place a strainer over the bowl and juice the lemon over the contents.
- Add the pepper and red peppers and whisk to blend completely.
- To assemble the salad, cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits. With a large spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh and reserve the empty shells to present the salad.
- Distribute the cabbage among 4 salad plates.
- Make a hollow in the center of the cabbage and place the empty avocado shell in the hollow.
- Cut the avocado flesh into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place the shrimp and avocado in a bowl.
- Fold the sauce into the shrimp mixture and mound the salad in the avocado shells.
- Serve immediately.