Recipe by Dina Cohen
I adapted pinkcherryblossom's great recipe for spinach and chickpea curry to make this tasty vegetarian couscous. I changed the combination of spices a bit and substituted canned tomatoes for fresh ones. It's very flavorful and filling but light at the same time. I use Near East couscous mix for the grain: it's ready in 5 minutes as opposed to real couscous which is very long to make. If you don't use spinach in the recipe, you might want to add a little water in step 3. You may also add other vegetables, such as carrot, squash, eggplant or potatoes. Boil or steam them aldente separately and add them in step 3. This makes a perfect vegetarian entree that you can serve along with a mediteranean salad (tomato and cucumber with olive oil and lemon dressing) or simply by itself.
Top Review by nancydemartini
I also chose to omit the vegetable bouillon. I added a sweet potato I had peeled, cut into bite size pieces, and steamed. I also doubled the amount of spices to compensate for the addition of the sweet potato. The dish was wonderful, very flavorful and filling. A great dinner to make when pressed for time.<br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>i
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 big tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, sliced (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden. Stir often.
- Add the garlic, spices and salt (not too much as the bouillon is also salted). Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas, lemon juice and bouillon. Bring to a higher heat for about 3 minutes then let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is flavorful but not too thick.
- Prepare the couscous grain according to package directions.
- Serve vegetables over warm couscous and decorate with fresh coriander. Enjoy!