A delicious change of pizza toppings. This pizza has a spinach and tomato base with ground beef or, perferably, vegetarian ground beef, topped with cheese. The crust is a multigrain crust that is crispy and stands up to the moist toppings. Spinach originated in the Middle East.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup oat flour (1 1/4 cup oats blended until fine)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Spinach Pizza Toppings
- 1⁄2 lb vegetarian ground beef (Yves Soy Italian Ground Round works well) or 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained or 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- FOR CRUST: Stir oat flour, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal and baking powder together; add oil and milk, mix well.
- Knead gently 10 to 12 strokes; press dough into a 12 inch lightly sprayed or greased pizza pan, building up at edges.
- Bake at 425F for 12 to 15 minutes or until brown.
- FOR TOPPINGS: Meanwhile, warm veggie ground beef with pizza sauce in microwave or in saucepan. If using ground beef, cook until no longer pink, drain, stir in pizza sauce.
- Arrange spinach on crust. Top with "meat" mixture; arrange mushrooms over meat; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425F for 10 to 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I haven't made the ENTIRE recipe (yet!) but since I've had such bad luck with homemade pizza crusts, I tried out the crust just to see how it would turn out! I used whole wheat flour for the white flour & some butter for the oil. I made the crust really thin, so it didn't rise so much, but it was nice & crispy. I added some pizza seasoning into the crust, too, and next time will spray the top with a little olive oil. I can't wait to try this with the toppings-will use turkey pepperoni, low fat cheese & my own sauce. I don't like mushrooms, and really don't like beef on my pizza-can't wait to make & eat the whole recipe! Thank u for sharing this.Reply
Absolutely delicious! The thing that caught my eye with this recipe was the multigrain crust and it did not disappoint - it's terrific! I did not use meat or vegetarian crumbles, and I chopped up the mushrooms and mixed them with the sauce instead of laying slices on the pizza. I really enjoyed everything about this pizza and will definitely make it again!Reply