Recipe by NorthwestGal
This is an easy-to-prepare casserole with a Mexican flair. Using canned and jarred selections from the grocery store will help reduce prep time. If you enjoy spicy dishes, you can opt for a hotter salsa and/or include the optional jalapeno pepper. But if you prefer mild dishes, you can use a mild salsa and omit the optional jalapeno pepper, and it still packs plenty of Mexican "kick".
Top Review by CJAY
Excellent recipe! We really enjoyed this. It's quick and easy to make and tastes so good. I used mild salsa but will use medium next time around. I added more garlic and added cilantro. Good luck in the contest.
- 4 small chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large purple onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced (I also quartered each slice)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (low-sodium, if available)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded (or more, if preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice each chicken thigh into thin strips. Heat oil in skillet; add chicken strips, onion and jalapeno (if using), and sauté, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until no pink remains in chicken; drain excess liquid. In a bowl, mix together cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. Add chicken/onion mixture and zucchini to bowl, and toss to coat with the seasoning mixture; set aside.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water to make a broth. Place rice in bottom of 2-quart baking dish. Pour broth over rice, and stir. Spread rice to cover bottom of baking dish.
- Spread seasoned chicken/zucchini mixture on top of rice, top with a layer of salsa, then sprinkle sliced olives over salsa.
- Cover baking dish and bake in oven at 350° for 45 minutes, or until chicken and zucchini are thoroughly cooked and rice is soft. Remove lid, sprinkle the top with cheese and return baking dish to oven (uncovered) for another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.