3 hrs 30 mins
The file gumbo should be added to the pot off the fire for its proper thickening action. Go ahead make my day and add mussels, clams, crab.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage, such as andouille or 1 lb kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken meat, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 lb boneless turkey meat, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 lb okra, sliced
- 2 lbs cleaned shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 1Combine the oil and flour in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux.
- 3Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- 4Add the sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves.
- 5Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Add the chicken broth or water.
- 7Stir until the roux mixture and water are well combined.
- 8Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 9Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 10Season the chicken and turkey with old bay and add to the pot.
- 11Simmer for 1 hour.
- 12Add okra simmer 45 minutes.
- 13Add shrimp simmer another 5 to 8 minutes don`t overcook the shrimp!
- 14Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
- 15Remove from the heat.
- 16Stir in the parsley, green onions.
- 17Remove the bay leaves and serve with lots of white rice.
- 18Add extra seasoning if needed or hot sauce for heat to your liking!
- 19If you like, sprinkle a small amount of gumbo filé in your individual serving for a little more flavor.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Turkey, and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1000.7
- Calories from Fat 579
- Total Fat 64.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 416.0 mg
- Sodium 3480.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 69.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning